Saturday, February 14, 2009

Perspective / Interpretation / Description: A Challenge

Lotus and bumblebee
(Click on image to enlarge.)

Last week, Brian left a comment on my blog wherein he said he wished he had my eyes. When I read his writing I wish I had his eyes. That started me thinking about how we each perceive something we see. It made me think about Kevin's observation about his photos and how people love them for the wrong reasons. Or, at least, love them for the reasons he doesn't. It made me think of Andrea and the time I photographed a discarded fork on a street that had been flattened by a passing car. I thought it was junk. She said she could make art out of it. Now, when I'm out walking and I see what is ostensibly litter, I wonder what Andrea would make out of it.

Here's the challenge: The photo above is one I took at the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in southeast Washington a year or so ago. If you're interested, I'd love to see how you'd create this in paint, mixed media collage, as a photograph of something else you've seen that reminded you of this photo, in writing, or whatever.

My point in this challenge is, we each have a respective set of eyes through which we view the world. How do you describe your world and what you're seeing to others? How does what you see inspire you and how does that inspiration manifest itself in your medium?

There's no obligation or deadline on this challenge. But if you do take this picture and do something with it, I'd love to see the results!

Photo copyright: Janet M. Kincaid

5 comments:

  1. Count me in! I'm inspired already. And it is a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at it large and MY GOD what a fabulous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi: I know we agreed I wouldn't refer to my photos this way ever again, but this a classic example of what I refer to as pure, dumb luck. This is one of the first pictures I took when I started back into photography about two years ago. I literally had to lean out across the boggy, swampy ground and hold the camera over my small stature (I'm 5'2") and hope for the best while also praying I wouldn't fall in. Honestly, the photography gods were on my side that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that back story on this photo. And I was NOT going to mention it. Why? Because it doesn't matter. You did it. You got out. You gave it a try. You got the shot. Or, if you like, the photography gods gave you that shot. It's yours. All yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's part of what I like about this shot. While I may have perceived it as dumb luck, it actually set me on the path to really diving into photography. In that sense then, I guess it was fate. I can own that! And, for what it's worth, I LOVE this photo. It's next on my list of pictures to enlarge and frame.

    ReplyDelete